Sunday, July 12, 2015

Fromage Blanc. Sunday July 12, 2015

On Friday as I was trying to fight off a winter chill, I decided to stay nice and warm inside the house and make cheese. As well as topping up my halloumi supplies, I decided to experiment with a soft cheese, Fromage Blanc. It was a very simple to make, merely a matter of warming the milk, adding culture and rennet and then letting it sit all day. I then drained it in cheese cloth all night and by morning, it was ready.
It is a slightly sour flavour, creamy in texture so it makes a good spread for bread.

I tried it spread on some toasted rye sourdough with some sweet chilli sauces and it was very tasty. I think it would be really nice with jam too. I wonder if it would work in a cheesecake as it has the consistency of cream cheese but without the fat content. ....maybe next time.

No comments: