Saturday, December 14, 2013

Marvellous Mustard. December 14th 2013

My mustard has almost run out so time to make some more. I have been doing a bit of experimenting with my mustard recipe this time. First of all I made my favourite Rosemary Mustard. For a bit of variety I am also trying a Tarragon and Honey Mustard and a Lemon Mustard. They will need to mature for a few weeks until we try them out. They will have to be good to beat the Rosemary version though!

It is such as easy recipe.
1/2 cup of yellow mustard seeds
1/4 cup black mustard seeds
1 Tablespoon mustard powder
Grind to coarse meal in a spice grinder.
Add 1/2 cup cider vinegar and and 1-2 teaspoons of chopped rosemary
Sit overnight.
Add 1/2 cup oil
2 teaspoons black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons flour
Mix all together. Blend if you want a smooth mustard but I prefer a grainy mustard so just mix by hand.


The Tarragon version has 1 teaspoon chopped Tarragon a 2 tablespoons of honey.
The Lemon version has zest and juice of one lemon

While I had the spine grinder out of the cupboard, I decided to make some of Moroccan spice called Ras Hanout which can be used in tagines or sprinkled on meats before barbecuing. I think there a million and one ways to make it but basically it is a mix of things like cinnamon, cumin,cloves,fenugreek, fennel seeds and mustard all about in equal proportions.
I also made a fragrant curry powder. Not sure you can actually call it that as it has no chilli in it but it smells lovely. Coriander, cumin, mustard, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg, turmeric and of course cinnamon too. 

No comments: