Monday, December 30, 2013

Dried strawberries and raspberries. December 30 2013


Almost every evening at the moment I am out picking raspberries, strawberries,blueberries and loganberries. The blueberries we are eating as there aren't many, the loganberries are being frozen for jam making later in the year.  I thought I would do a little experiment and try drying some of the strawberries and raspberries. The strawberries I sliced in 1/2 cm slices and the raspberries I tried whole.
A beautiful smell filled the room where they were drying over the next several hours. The strawberries dried relatively quickly but the raspberries took considerably longer and in fact I had to finish off the next day. They kept their shape and feel almost aerated. The taste of both is very intense and delicious.
I am keeping them in jars at the moment as I read somewhere to do this to even out the moisture content. Not sure if I might freeze them or vacuum seal them for long term keeping if they don't get eaten in the meantime.


No comments: