Monday, April 2, 2012

Making the most of the last zucchinis of summer and getting ready for Easter

The zucchini plants in the vege patch are looking like they are on their last legs although still producing a few giants. Last week I found a recipe for Zucchini (courgette) chutney in a library book so thought I would give it a go. It was a slightly unusual recipe in that the zucchini slices had to be salted for a couple of hours first before washing, drying then adding to the mix of onions, tomatoes, red wine and malt vinegar, sugar and cinnamon. It was meant to have grated orange rind in it as well but I left that until last as it meant going out in to the garden to get an orange, and then I forgot to do it.
After cooking it all down for a couple of hours it had thickened up and was ready to bottle. Ready to have with my lunch.
Also yesterday morning I made a loaf of Panettone bread ready for Easter. It is a really a Christmas bread but it is so delicious that I like to make it at Easter time too!This is the yeast version not the sourdough version which I made once before and which ended up being as solid as a brick!

No comments: