Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Time to harvest the corn

The corn crop has been fantastic this summer. Last year, I think because we had had such a cool wet summer, the crop didn't pollinate properly and the harvested cobs tasted mealy and were not very nice. When I was sure we had a decent crop this year, I decided to throw out all of last years cobs in the freezer. On the weekend, I cut up some of the new crop into serving size pieces and put them into freezer bags then straight into the freezer. Seems like all guides to freezing vegetables suggest that you blanch cobs of corn before freezing but someone told me once that she never did....so I tried ....and they are just as good. Later in the year, we can just put these small cobs in the microwave for a minute or so and they will be just like they have been freshly picked.
I thought about drying some cobs Nepali style like these ones drying under the eaves of a house in Ghandruk in the Annapurna region, but I haven't worked out what I would do with the dried ones yet. Maybe I will try just  a few next weekend if I have time.

The tomatoes are starting to crop really heavily too so it is time for puree bottling. The first load was done on Sunday and is now in the storeroom. I am sure there will be many more to come.



No comments: