Saturday, June 4, 2011

Yum........ Yams

A gardening post this week. I have just dug up one plant of the New Zealand yams I planted last spring and got a colander full. We have tried them roasted and also in a stir fry and either way they are delicious. A really nice crunchy texture if stir fried - a bit like a water chestnut. And the bonus is they seem to grow without too much looking after. Where they were planted in the garden didn't get watered a lot, and there was twitch grass growing as well., usually a big problem with vegetables. I left a few corms in the ground so there should be some sprout this spring as well. They are a member of the oxalis family, usually a pesky weed but not in this case!

4 comments:

Kate said...

Oh nice.... I wonder if mine are ready to dig up. I will have a look today!

Niko said...

yams ey, if only I liked chestnuts

Pamela said...

Where do you get the yams to start off with? Can you plant out ones you buy to eat?..that would be obvious I suppose. I thought they needed a warmer climate!

Sue Roberts said...

I got half dozen yam corms from Lost Seed Company - and now I have heaps to replant. Are you coming to Burnie anytime soon Pam? Or I could send a few in the internal mail system??