Monday, November 1, 2010

Planting Time in the Patch

First weekend in November - well at least today is November and in northern Tasmania it is a public holiday so I think that counts as the weekend still. First weekend in November especially in my neck of the woods, signals time to plant out frost tender plants like tomatoes, pumpkin, zucchini, squash, eggplant, capsicum, basil. The weather is still quite cold so I haven't put all my eggs in one basket and still have some tomato plants in reserve. However I did plant out all my pumpkins and zucchinis today. I just hope that where I have put them, down near the plum trees, they will be a little bit protected.
 Old pots make good protectors however if I suspect there might be  
frost, I pick some branches of something with a small foliage like myrtle, and poke them into the ground next to the seedling to provide an umbrella type shelter.
And remember those potatoes I planted in July/August? Take a look at them now. We should have a heap of new potatoes this year and plenty to put away for next year too. I think there are 5 or 6 different varieties to choose from and although some were a little slower than others to get going, they all seem to be doing well now. Just got to make sure to keep them covered so I don't end up with all green inedible spuds.

1 comment:

Uncle Nick said...

Just putting the garden to bed here in the UK Sue.

Nick (Spurling)