Saturday, June 12, 2010

Fetta Cheese

This weekend I decided to take the plunge and try some fetta cheese, inspired by my successful yoghurt making. Before I launch into buying the proper ingredients, this is my test batch using yoghurt for a starter culture and junket tablets for rennet.
It is a pretty simple process but a bit time consuming. I need to work out a better starting time next time so that I don't end up doing all the fiddly bits late at night. The fetta is now sitting in a brine whey in the fridge maturing for a few days until I am game enough to taste it. At this stage it still tastes very much like a home made cottage cheese -boring. I think I might try it in a Greek spanakopita recipe first as I am not sure if it will achieve the flavour and consistency of the Fetta I am used to eating.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: